Getting started as a Sole Trader

Getting started as a Sole Trader is surprisingly simple

If you are considering starting out as a Sole Trader, we can help! But in the meantime, here are some simple steps for you to follow,

  • Register as self-employed with Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) within the first three months of taking up your contract assignment*
  • Also register with them to pay Class 2 National Insurance Contributions*
  • Complete our registration form or give us a call and we’ll happily register you over the phone
  • Remember to attach a clear, certified copy of your photo ID to your online registration or send it along to us by email or in the post
  • Remember to include your unique tax reference number (or UTR) on your registration form (if you are waiting to receive this from HMRC you can still register – just send the number when you receive it)
  • Send us a copy of your work permit/visa (if applicable) to demonstrate your right to work in the UK

Note: if you would like to register with the Sole Trader Premium Service use the same registration form and simply give us a call on  020 8643 9633 to request the Premium option

*If you are a Sole Trader Premium customer we will carry out these actions for you.

Get More From Maze
Find out why it pays to be with Maze...
We respect your privacy.